Lemon Meringue Cake
This recipe for a Lemon Meringue Cake was submitted by Barbara Crawford, who made one for our Edinburgh Larder event. We can confirm it is very tasty and we hope she makes it again!
Lemon Meringue Cake (Cuts into 12 slices- Prep 25mins cook, 35-40 mins)
For the Cake
grated zest and juice of 2 unwaxed lemons
200g/ 8oz softened butter
200g/ 8oz caster sugar
250g /8 oz. self- raising flour
1 heaped tsp. baking powder
For the Meringue
2 egg whites
100g/4oz caster sugar
For the Filling
2tbsp sifted icing sugar plus a little extra for dusting
half a jar of good quality lemon curd
1. Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3
2. Line the bases of two 20cm sandwich tins with non – stick paper
3. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl, then beat for 2-3 mins until light and fluffy. Spoon evenly into the tins, level the tops.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff then gradually add the sugar, whisking until the meringue is stiff.
5. Spoon half over each cake and spread to within 2 cms of the edges, swirl the meringue with the tip of the knife.
6. Bake the cakes for 35-40 mins until the meringue is crisp and golden and the cake is firm.
7. Test by inserting a skewer through the meringue – if just a few crumbs stick to the skewer, the cake is ready.
8. Cool in the tins for 10 mins, then invert each cake onto a folded tea towel, and invert again onto a wire rack so the meringue is uppermost.
9. Leave to cool completely.
10. Beat together the mascarpone and icing sugar then swirl in spoonfuls of lemon curd.
11. Set one cake on a plate and spread with the filling. Top with the other cake and dust lightly with icing sugar
In the first of our tried and tested recipes, we present ‘Smores Cookie Bars that were baked by Jane Hutchison.
The recipe was sourced from Heather Likes Food
Jane’s picture of the S’mores in progress
- 1 C butter (2 sticks)
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 32 large marshmallow
- 1 1/2 C chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 C milk
- graham cracker crumbs for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- For The Cookie Base
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl until liquefied. Using a sturdy spatula, stir in both sugars and vanilla extract. Add in eggs and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients and stir until no dry spots remain.
- Spoon cookie dough into a greased 9×13? baking pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- Remove pan from oven and top with about 32 large marshmallow, or however many you can fit over the top.
- Return cookie bars to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the marshmallows are puffy and melted.
- Let cookie bars cool completely.
- For the Chocolate Topping
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter. Begin to melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each break. Continue until all the chocolate has melted, but watch carefully as the chocolate can burn.
- Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the milk.
- Spread chocolate mixture over the cooled cookie bars. Allow the chocolate to set before slicing into squares.
Looks fabulous Jane!